A new series examining aspects of spiritual life you may not have considered before.
Part Seven: ‘Uninvited passengers’ – and what to do about them (Conclusion)
(Author’s note – This time we conclude our continuing examination of the unseen negative forces we can all at times fall foul of without us being consciously aware of their existence. If you haven’t read the initial part of this article – Insights and Inspirations Part Five – I highly recommend you do so to bring yourself up to speed on the topics this instalment will cover before continuing here).
It felt like Groundhog Day. I had drawn the church service to a close with a short prayer and then could see – and I didn’t need to be psychic to predict that this would happen – that the path between me and the medium’s room, where a much-anticipated cup of tea and some biscuits lay waiting, had become blocked due to the sudden formation of a queue of people, eagerly waiting to ask me questions. Sigh! No rest for the wicked! In amongst the crowd stood two teenage girls. Pale-faced. Wide-eyed. Almost, but not quite, shaking. What was my advice regarding ouija boards? they nervously asked me. Were they safe? Were they dangerous?
I open with the Groundhog Day reference because the above was by no means a unique occurrence. I’d spoken to individuals on numerous occasions regarding this self-same subject following other services in other churches, and in each case their questions were almost identical: Ouija boards. …What did I think of them? What did I recommend regarding their use? Were they good or bad things?
This lead-in to the concluding part of our investigation into ‘uninvited passengers’ – into some of the unseen negative forces that can latch onto us and affect us adversely and what to do to make sure they don’t – begins with an appropriate subject, as we shall see, and I have a single word of advice for all and everyone regarding ouija boards:
You wouldn’t leave your door open and unlocked at night, would you, then go to bed hoping you were safe in your home? Similarly, and as an analogy, on the basis of a single telephone call to someone you had never spoken to before, you wouldn’t invite that person, without knowing anything at all about them except that they ‘seemed nice’ on the phone, into your life from that point onwards …trusting them to advise you on the course of your life by them predicting for you things concerning your future that may or may not be accurate and helpful (which could also apply to the ‘facts’ they are asking you to believe as to their identity)?
You see, the first – the golden – rule in protecting yourself against unseen and uninvited passengers is: don’t ever invite them in. Many neophyte spiritual seekers make the mistake of looking for the initial ‘thrill’ of connecting with a discarnate spirit or spirits and becoming the focus of their attention and the recipient of help and guidance from ‘beyond’. In hoping to establish such a connection via a ouija board, you have no idea who might be on the other side of the open-ended ‘call’ you are attempting to make …who your unseen contact really is …what their true motives are. There is, however, one thing you can be absolutely certain of: they are not communicating with you from a high spiritual sphere or from an evolved state of being – because, if they were, they would get in touch with you ‘via the proper channels’ and would have no need of a ouija board. So, it’s a big NO to the use of this seductive little occult instrument (believe me, I’ve seen more pale and frightened faces than I care to remember, and could tell you tales regarding communication via ouija boards that would make your blood run cold). Similarly, and in seeking spiritually, never, ever, without first going through the proper channels, stare in excited anticipation at the ceiling of your living room and ask is there’s anybody there, hoping to attract into that room a highly evolved guiding influence… And never, ever ask for physical proof that a discarnate someone is around you – ask them to move something, for example – because, as a result of doing so, you just might find out that someone is there and they’re not ‘a someone’ you would want in your home… Poltergeist activity, anyone?
In using the phrase ‘going through the proper channels’ I’m referring to making a regular connection with – and, therefore, being on the receiving end of protection from – the Divine-within. Before undertaking any spiritual work or, indeed, before simply setting off on your usual physical and mental journey through each new day, it is essential that you actively align yourself with the highest and the best – with the God-within, with the Divine energy you came from and are a part of and which, if invited to do so (you have free will, remember) can and will surround you in love and Light and ensure no harm comes to you and that any potential ‘uninvited passengers’ are unable to sneak on board.
Which brings us to the related subject of motive. Your motive in seeking unseen spiritual connections also acts as your protection. You have to be honest with yourself as to what you are hoping to achieve from your ongoing journey of spiritual discovery. What do you intend to do with any spiritual knowledge you will gain as a result of setting out on that journey? Is your quest for spiritual knowledge focused solely on yourself and your needs or do you intend to also use it to help elevate others; to work to lift all humanity and all life here into the Light? Your initial, core question… one that requires a stripped-bare, honest response, has to be: why do I want to develop spiritually?
OK – the fact that you’re reading this, that you’re visiting the Joseph Communications website right now, means it’s almost certain you’re not just interested in receiving message after message from departed friends and family but are seeking a higher level of spiritual input. You are a spiritually-minded; a seeker for the right reasons… but in and of themselves these qualities are not guarantees of your protection. You also need to be aware of the potentially negative implications of your development journey as, in earnestly desiring to help all humanity, in selflessly seeking to share spiritual truths and insights and Light with as many souls as you are able to bring such uplifting energies to, you are ‘sticking your head above the parapet,’ as it were, and as a consequence of doing so can become a target for the ‘uninvited passengers’ you are reading this article in order to learn how to avoid. Not only that, but as the heart-Light you emanate grows ever brighter, ever stronger, it will become a beacon that can be easily and clearly seen by the unseen – enlightened or otherwise.
– Catch 22, as the saying goes.
So… what to do? You wish to progress spiritually and you have the right motivation but, of course, you want to remain protected as you’re doing so. The key to personal spiritual enlightenment and being able to share that knowledge with others to maximum effect whilst keeping yourself ‘passenger-free’ is to build into each of your days safety routines that become second nature to you, and to have to hand certain practical ‘fixes’ that can rapidly re-energise you and put you back on course should you find you have been adversely affected by the heaviness of the material world, the Field of human consciousness, the thoughts and actions of others, and negative unseen influences.
Here are a few procedures you might like to incorporate into your day which can help you do just that:
1. Waking Dedication. On awakening each day, make a connection with the God-within your first priority. Before you get out of bed, spend a few moments affirming that the inner power and wisdom of the ‘big two’ – the Divine-within and your Higher Self – will guide, inspire and protect you during your day ahead. Thank the Divine and your Higher Self in advance for doing so.
2. Regularly check yourself for ‘uninvited passengers’. If your mood suddenly and inexplicably nosedives at some point in your day and/or your energy levels bottom out, and this is not as a result of a physical need for food or rest, take yourself away somewhere quiet (this can be the established peaceful meditation spot in your home or the rest room if you are at work) then calmly check yourself psychically for feeders (with practice you will be able to sense and see these attached to your major chakras), dealing with any you might discover as Joseph advises in the first two parts of this article.
3. Ask yourself, ‘Is it me or is it someone else?’ Depressions, dark moods and overwhelming feelings of sadness suddenly coming over you for no apparent reason can mean that someone you have connections with is in trouble or has a problem that is pulling them down; that they are currently thinking in your direction and/or you are picking up their depleted thoughts and mood. As spirits we are each transmitters and receivers of energy and, as you progress spiritually, you will find yourself becoming increasingly sensitive to the unseen connections that can reach you and impact on your consciousness. Ask yourself in such circumstances: ‘Is it me?’ And, if you sense that it isn’t, ask the Divine-within to reveal to you the source of the negative cloud that has settled over you – ask to be shown who the person is that has made a mood-altering connection with you. As a result of asking this, you will find that someone you know either phones you, emails you or turns up on your doorstep, or that you have an overwhelming urge to contact someone you know. Once you have been contacted by or spoken to the person concerned, your mood will rapidly lift to its usual setting – meaning you have identified the source of your remotely influenced mood-crash.
4. Check yourself for ‘filaments’. The ‘psychic vampirism’ you can be subjected to and which is detailed in the preceding instalment of this article can sometimes be difficult to deal with, not because you are incapable of doing so, but because some of the souls unknowingly taking your energies may turn out to be close friends or relatives going through a hard time, or other people you care about and wish to help and strengthen. You have to be able to ‘live to fight another day’, however – you can’t help someone you care for tomorrow if they are unconsciously draining your energies today via an undetected filament of energy that is linking you to them and allowing your energy to constantly flow along it and into them. Remember to regularly look for and disconnect such energy links using the methods outlined in the last instalment. You’re not being cruel in doing this… you’re maintaining your energies at optimum levels so you can continue to help those around you from a position of strength and health.
5. Become a living mirror. There will be times when you find yourself unable to pinpoint the origins of your suddenly heavy feelings and plummeting mood and rid yourself of them. This is hardly surprising as we make countless psychic connections in our daily lives with those we know, plus connections with those we don’t know, also picking up – sensing and being affected by – underlying dominant trends in the Field of human consciousness. As an example, during the course of a single day I can be subjected to the thoughts of a great many people because of the higher-than-average profile of the Band of Light – putting itself out in public as it does via videos and articles such as this one, etc. As a result, we are recipients of both the kind thoughts of individuals who support what we do, and also the less-than-benevolent emanations of individuals who don’t agree with Joseph’s viewpoint, and who become a little ‘needled’ each time we put out something new. Those resentments reach me/us psychically and we have to be mindful and take care to keep ourselves free of them.
One way to do this is to visualise yourself as being within the silver bell jar mentioned in the last part of this article, then to ‘mirror’ its outside surface in your imagination, so that all thoughts reaching you are reflected away from you by this invisible barrier.
6. Make your home a house of mirrors. My good friend, Meria Heller, with whom I co-host the Bigger Picture radio show every two months, suggested that we can also do this with our homes, again using our imagination to first of all visualise encasing them on all sides within a ‘steel’ frame, then to place mirror surfaces, facing outwards on all sides of this frame, effectively making our homes a fortress within which we are safe and protected from all negative influences and intentions. This is a very beneficial exercise to do at night before sleeping.
7. Return to Sender. We don’t have to take on board – to accept – incoming negative influences simply because they intend to attach to us. Sometimes we will know we are under attack but won’t know where that attack is coming from. In such cases, a quick and effective remedy is to simply become quiet and say: ‘Thank you for the gift of your thoughts. However, I have no need of them on my journey, and so, with love, I send your gift back… I return it to you.’
– Negative influences… A vast subject – but I hope I’ve been able to share with you some effective methods of ridding yourself of ‘uninvited passengers’. In closing, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to ‘keep on keeping on’. Please don’t become discouraged simply because I’ve pointed out some of the pitfalls you can encounter on your journey of spiritual development. I bring them to your attention to make you aware of them, to give you the means of protecting yourself, and to help you maintain buoyancy and positivity as you continue to unfold the wonders, delights, peace, fulfilment and life-enhancing perspectives that are to be found in seeking and connecting to higher realities and the Divine-within.